Friday, April 18, 2014

Synchroblog Part Deux: Why Do You Run?

What role does running play in your life?  

Running plays a pretty big part of my life....duh? I guess ever since I started running, it has just been a big, fat, time consuming and rewarding aspect of my day to day existence. To me, running means freedom. Freedom from daily worries. Freedom from idleness. Freedom from poor health. Freedom from the things that drag you down and try and make you feel like you are weak and not good enough. Deep, I know. Also, running provides some of the best bonding time with my wife and friends.

When did you start running and why?  

Truthfully I started running in middle school when my dad tried to get my brother and I into an exercise regiment with him. He would drag us out on a 1/2 mile run every morning before school from our house, down the street, to an infamous rose bush and then back home. I HATED it. I REALLY HATED it. Anyways, fast forward to freshman year of HS and I joined the xc team. I was not fast, but I found something I could put my mind to and improve in. I worked really hard to get better and then through the guidance of my coach and friendship with teammates, I guess I started to enjoy it. By the time I graduated HS I knew running would be an integral part of my life going forward.

If you could only run one last run, where and with whom would it be and why?  

That's a tough one. My last run would definitely be with Kristen and probably my brother as well who started running back in 2007. But where? I don't know. There are too many places that I have not seen or experienced that I feel like I could not even begin to decide where my LAST run would be. 


Chang Family 5k TT


"Running" into the Pacific Ocean in Ecuador

How about I give you a bucket list of the PLACES I want to run before I die (In no particular order) :

  • Grand canyon
  • Inca trail/Peru
  • Mongolia
  • Alaska
  • Norway
  • Kenya
  • New Zealand
  • Iceland
  • Run Across America ...?


Which is better, trail running or road running?  Why? 

Trail running is by far better for the soul, mind and body, but for time management, sustainability and consistency, the road wins. I feel like everyone would like to spend nearly 100% of their time out on the trails but there are, unfortunately, many obstacles to getting out there more. So I would have to say that train running is 'better' but road running is more feasible and therefore a better option oftentimes for me.


Supporting friend Devon to a BQ effort at the 2013 Garden Spot Marathon. Devon will be joining me at the starting line of the Boston Marathon this coming Monday.

Pushing the pace with friend, Lewis, at the 2012 Apple Blossom 10k 

Groups or solo? 

Group runs are the way to go. From beginners to elites, it has been proven that we run better with other people. If a couch to 5k runner achieves their goals with a group, and the world record marathoner also trains in a group, then how could anyone possibly advocate the other side of this issue? Now, everyone needs their 'alone time' to train and get their head straight but in the grand scheme of things Group>Solo.

At the finish line of the 2011 Boston Marathon
So in other news, this has been quite an emotional week for me. The second week in April has been this way for the last 7 years. Top that with all the Boston drama and there you have it. Needless to say, Kristen and I are headed to Boston today and I will be toeing the line in Hopkinton and kicking (hopefully) down Boylston on Monday. Its been a journey working towards Monday and I am excited to get out there and run. No pressure, no stress, just me, the road and 30,000 of my closest friends. 


Check out other UltraVT Synchroblogs "Why Do You Run" Below:



No comments:

Post a Comment